Healthy Sugar Cookies
I like to use this recipe for the holidays when everyone tends to over indulge in baked goods. This healthy version of cut out cookies makes it all good - in more ways than one, enjoy!
- 1 cup almond meal, finely ground
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter (or use another 3 tablespoons coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Stevia powder
- 3 tablespoons Soy yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice (or cinnamon and nutmeg)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from includingcake.com
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl and then add to the dry. Get you hands in and press together to form a stiff slightly sticky ball of dough, if it is not sticky enough to hold together to roll then add a tiny bit more soy yoghurt or water.
You may chill the dough if you find it easier to work with that way but I didn’t find I needed to.
Roll out in a floured surface or between two layers of baking parchment. Cut out shapes and lay on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, keeping a close eye to watch they don’t burn.
Allow to cool fully before decorating as you wish. They can be frozen either plain or decorated.