Flatbread - gluten free
- 200 g gluten free self-raising flour mix (I used Doves Farm mix which contains rice, potato, tapioca, maize and buckwheat flours)
- 1-2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- 150 g soy yoghurt (or natural yoghurt)
- 50 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast (optional- I added this but it was not in the original recipe)
- you could alternatively substitute the GF flour for spelt flour plus 3tsp baking powder.
Adapted from includingcake.com
Heat the grill to medium and dust a baking sheet with a little flour. Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan for a minute or so to release a better aroma. Mix the flour, cumin seeds and salt in a bowl then add the yoghurt and water and stir through, using your hands at the end as necessary. This should result in a lovely soft dough.
Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and form circular patties with your hands approx. 5mm thick. Dust lightly with a little more flour if they are quite sticky to touch. Lay on the floured baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired.
Grill for approx. 3-5 minutes on each side (depending on the strength of your grill) until lightly golden and puffed up.
Note: for a future batch, once laid on the baking sheet I may brush the top surface with a little soy milk before sprinkling with salt and pepper to achieve more of a golden glazed finish. This hasn’t yet been tested so feel free to experiment.