cake - Choc Nog Sponges
- 3/4 cup cashew nut butter
- 4 dates
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 a frozen banana (or another 1/4 cup nut butter)
- 1/2 cup firm tofu (water pressed out)
- 3 tbs maple syrup/brown rice syrup/agave nectar
- Pinch of stevia powder (approx. 1/6 tsp or to taste)
- 3 tbs coconut butter melted- if you want a thicker frosting (omit for a soft whippy frosting)
- 10 1/2 oz. firm silken tofu
- 1/3 cup rapadura
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 tbs vinegar
- 1 tbs water
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 tbs ground flax mixed with 2tbs hot water
- 1 cup whole wheat spelt flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
Adapted from includingcake.com
Prepare frosting by adding all the ingredients to the food processor and blending together until smooth. If your blender is less powerful you may want to chop up the dates and soak them in a little hot water first. Once fully blended, the mixture will be thick but fairly runny. Set aside to use as a soft frosting or if you added the coconut butter for a thicker frosting, spoon into a bowl and allow to firm up in the fridge for an hour or two.
To make the mini sponges. Preheat oven to 180C degrees. Line a 10x15 inch pan with baking parchment.
In food processor, mix tofu, rapadura, agave, vinegar, water, vanilla and flax mix (see note below). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Pour the blended tofu mixture into flour mixture; stir together thoroughly.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top of the batter evenly and bake for 10-12 minutes.
Once the sponge is cool, lift out of the pan, place on a cutting board and using a circle (or any simple shape) cutter, cut rounds of sponge out of the slab. There will be a little wastage (or nibbles), so to avoid this you could cut the slab into squares.
Once the frosting is prepared, drizzle, spoon or pipe the nog frosting onto the individual sponges and serve immediately. The frosting and sponges can be prepared up to a day in advance and stored separately for last minute frosting.