Plum Freezer Jam – Original Pectin
- 3-1/2 lb (1.6 kg) plums
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) water, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) lemon juice
- 7 cups (1750 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 pkg (57 g) BERNARDIN® Original Fruit Pectin
• Wash and rinse 5 BERNARDIN Freezer Jars and lids or 250 ml mason jars and closures.
• Wash, pit (do not peel) and finely chop plums. Combine plums with 1/2 cup (125 ml) water in a stainless steel saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover and boil gently 5 minutes.
• In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together 5 cups (1250 ml) cooked plums, lemon juice and sugar. Let stand 10 minutes.
• In a small saucepan, gradually whisk Original fruit pectin into water until dissolved. Stirring frequently, bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Boil hard 1 minute.
• Combine hot pectin mixture with fruit mixture; stir 3 minutes.
• Ladle jam into jars, leaving 1/2 inch (1 cm) headspace. Wipe jar rims removing any residue. Apply lids tightly. Let stand until thickened, about 30 minutes. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freeze up to 1 year, or serve right away.