Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas are the perfect Southern dish to accompany your next family dinner or festive holiday gathering. This reicpe is as easy as it gets, just combine all the ingredients in a slow-cooked, and let it cook while you deal with other things. This recipe is perfect for any New Year's Day spread or holiday gathering where you need to feed a crowd. If you're craving a little extra spice just add more Tabasco.
- 2 1/2 cups dried black eyed peas
- water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 whole onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon or ham hock
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar, plus more to taste
- dash or 2 of Tabasco
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Place all ingredients in a large cooking pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes or until peas are tender. Add additional water if needed to keep peas covered. If all the water boils away the peas will burn quickly, so watch closely.
Taste peas and add vinegar, hot sauce, salt, or pepper as needed to suit your taste.
You'll also love
- Zucchini Sweet Corn and Kamut... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Ceasar Salad Bites and Shrimp &... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Chilled Watermelon Soup 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Pudding - Pumpkin Chia Pudding 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Spanish Rice with Black Beans 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Soups: Crockpot Quinoa Red Lentil... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Vegan Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Creme de Menthe Layer Cake 4.2/5 (9 Votes)