cookie - chocolate peppermint cookies, gluten free
- 6 Tbs. nondairy butter, softened
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. rice flour (I use superfine brown rice)
- 1/3 c. tapioca starch
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 2 Tbs. nondairy milk (I use almond milk)
- 2 Tbs. nondairy butter
- 2 Tbs. nondairy milk (again, I use almond milk)
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 6 oz. nondairy chocolate chips
1. Cream nondairy butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add flours/starch, salt, baking powder, cocoa and nondairy milk.
3. Divide dough into two balls; roll out between wax paper until about 1/8" thick, using powdered sugar to "flour" your surface. Place rolled out dough in refrigerator to chill.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Cut cookies out with 1 1/2" diameter cookie cutters and place on baking sheets.
6. Roll out scraps and recut more cookies until all of the dough is used.
7. Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set; let cool on baking sheets before transferring to wire racks.
8. Mix nondairy butter, milk and powdered sugar in stand mixer until stiff.
9. Frost one cookie and sandwich another on top of the frosting...they should resemble homemade Oreo cookies at this point. Try your hardest to not eat them at this point. (Or, if you were smart, you would have made sure that there was one cookie without a "mate" so you can test one cookie with the filling!)
10. Heat nondairy chocolate chips in a metal bowl set on top of a pot of boiling water; stir constantly until a smooth consistency.
11. Working quickly, put one cookie in the melted chocolate, flip with a fork and make sure sides are covered. Scrape off excess chocolate so you have a thin chocolate covering, and place on parchment paper to cool/harden.
12. Once cookies are set (if you're impatient, stick them in the refrigerator or outside if it is cool, dry weather to speed up the process), enjoy with a glass of nondairy milk or with ice cream. My husband eats these for breakfast with a cup of coffee. :)