Orange Cinnamon Belgium Waffles
Desserts for Breakfast
- 1 cup lukewarm whole milk
- 6 Tbspn butter, melted
- 3 Tbspn honey
- 3/4 tspn salt
- 1 tspn vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbspn ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, slightly warmed
- freshly grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 1/2 tspn instant yeast
- pearl sugar, optional
- Dark chocolate hot fudge
- adapted from the Scharffenberger Chocolate book
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2.5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 Tbspn (2 oz.) butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
1. Stir to combine all of the ingredients except the pearl sugar in a large bowl, allowing room for expansion.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at (warm) room temperature for an hour. The mixture will begin to bubble somewhat.
3. Preheat your waffle iron and coat lightly with cooking spray. Place enough batter in the center of your waffle iron to allow for expansion and sprinkle in the pearl sugar, if using. Cook for roughly 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately with dark chocolate hot fudge, or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven.
Dark chocolate hot fudge
adapted from the Scharffenberger Chocolate book
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2.5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
4 Tbspn (2 oz.) butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup whole milk
1. Whisk together the sugar and cocoa powder and set aside.
2. In a double boiler over simmering hot water, melt the chocolate and butter.
3. Meanwhile, heat the cream and milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. As soon as steam begins to rise from the milk, whisk in the sugar and cocoa powder until they are dissolved. Keep this at a low simmer, and do not let boil.
4. Once the chocolate and butter have melted in the double boiler, stir until smooth and then stir in the cocoa and milk mixture. Whisk for 2-3 minutes until it is slightly thickened. Pout into a heat-proof container and let cool.
5. Rewarm in a double boiler or microwave as needed; otherwise, keep covered in the refrigerator.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (884 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (886 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (706 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (497 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)