Cheesy Chicken and Pepper Subs
Serve with crunchy vegetable sticks, a simple tossed salad, or steamed green beans.
Saturated fat: 3g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g
- 4 (3-ounce) whole-wheat hoagie rolls, split
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large julienne-cut yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Dell'Amore)
- 2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Hollow out top and bottom halves of hoagie rolls, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Place hoagie rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet, and broil for 1 minute or until rolls are toasted.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with oregano, salt, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 7 minutes, turning occasionally. Add bell pepper to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until bell pepper is tender and chicken is done. Stir in marinara sauce, and cook 30 seconds or until marinara is thoroughly heated.
4. Transfer top halves of rolls to a plate. Divide chicken mixture evenly among bottom halves of rolls; top evenly with cheese. Broil 1 minute or until cheese melts. Top with top halves of rolls.