Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad
- 1 1/2 t red wine vinegar
- 1 t kosher salt, more to taste
- 2 heads broccoli, 1 lb. each, cut into bite-size florets
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 fat garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 2 t roasted (Asian) sesame oil
- Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes
In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and toss to combine.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot, but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.Stir in sesame oil and pepper flakes. Pour mixture over broccoli and toss well.
Let sit for a least 1 hour at room temperature, and up to 48. (Chill it if you want to keep it for more than 2 hours). Adjust seasonings (it may need more salt) and serve.