Blueberry Cream Cheese Rolls
- Sweet vanilla yeast dough:
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup fruit juice or red wine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel *
- pinch of salt
- 12 ounces (1 1/2 large packages) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, slightly softened
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1. Prepare the yeast dough by hand, machine or on the dough cycle of your bread machine. The dough will be soft and smooth.
2. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes, or until full and puffy.
3. Place the berries and juice or wine in a medium-sized saucepan. Combine the sugar, Instant ClearJel, and salt. Add the sugar/thickener to the berries/wine and cook over medium heat until the sauce is thick, about 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Gently deflate the risen dough, and roll/pat it nto an 18" x 20" rectangle. Spread with the cooled blueberry filling, and roll up cinnamon-roll style.
5. Slice the roll into 12 equal portions. Place in a greased 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish, cut (spiral) side up. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and let rise for 40 minutes.
6. As the dough is rising, prepare the topping. Combine the softened cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, vanilla, flour, and salt. Stir until very smooth. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Cut off a generous piece of the corner of the bag, leaving an opening the size of a quarter.
7. Prepare the streusel by combining the flour, sugar, and butter with a fork or your fingers until it's in large crumbles, similar to large granola clusters.
8. Uncover the rolls and pipe a large dollop of cream cheese filling on top of each. Use your wet fingers to spread the filling completely over the top of each bun.
9. Sprinkle the streusel over the tops of the rolls. Use all the streusel; don't worry if it falls off the top of the rolls and settles between them. Everything will bake together just fine.
10. Bake the rolls in a preheated 350°F oven for 45 to 55 minutes. They should be golden brown on the edges, and the streusel should be nicely browned, as well. A digital thermometer should read 200°F when inserted into the center of a roll.
11. Remove the rolls from the oven. Serve warm, or at room temperature. These large, rich buns make a very filling breakfast!
For smaller buns, divide the dough into 24 equal portions and place in two well-greased 12-cup muffin pans. Reduce the baking time to 25 to 30 minutes.
*you can replace the Instant ClearJel with one packet of unflavored gelatin.