Winter Squash with Spiced Butter
Traditional Thanksgiving flavors (squash, cinnamon, butter) are given a beautiful Persian accent. The exotic spiced butter is also a treat mixed into couscous.
Recipe by Victoria Granof
Photograph by Jeremy Liebman
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 4 pounds assorted small winter squash (such as acorn, kabocha, or delicata)
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Ingredient Info.:
- Dried rose petals are available at Middle Eastern markets and kalustyans.com.
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Mix all ingredients except salt in a small bowl until lime juice is incorporated. Season with salt. Cover; keep in a cool place.
DO AHEAD; Spiced butter can be made 1 week ahead. Roll into logs, wrap in parchment paper, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
Trim ends of acorn and kabocha squash and cut in half through the stem end. Scrape out seeds and place squash cut side down on a cutting board (do not peel). Cut halves crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. If using delicate squash, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings; scrape out seeds.
Fill a large wide pot with water to a depth of 1/2-inch and add a pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Add squash slices; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and steam, adding more water as needed to maintain 1/2-inch of water at bottom of pot, until squash is tender but not falling apart, 20-25 minutes.
Carefully transfer squash slices to a large platter (some squash at bottom of pot may be too soft; save for another purpose4) and season with salt.
Reduce water in pot over high heat (or add hot water) to measure 3/4 cup. Remove from heat and whisk in spiced butter, 1 tablespoonful at a time, to form a rich, glossy sauce. Season to taste with salt. Drizzle spiced butter over squash. Top with pomegranate seeds.
You'll also love
- Banana Layer Cake with Cream... 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Pickled Okra 3.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Buttermilk Banana Bread 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Popcorn with White... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Christmas Pudding 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Miso Mushroom Zucchini "Ramen"... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Carrot & Zucchini Mini-Muffins 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Vegan Stuffing 4.1/5 (21 Votes)