Cheese Fondue Hashbrowns
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, washed, peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
- Pinch paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced sage
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 small Camembert or Brie cheese, rind trimmed off the bottom side
- Variation: Grilled Potatoes with Blue Cheese
Cooking time 33mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, add the butter and the potatoes. Season with a pinch of paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring from time to time, until they become tender but crispy, about 10 minutes. Add the wine. Season again with salt and pepper and increase the heat. The potatoes should eventually start to brown. Add more butter, if desired. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring from time to time, so the potatoes brown on all sides. Add onion, rosemary, thyme and sage, stir until fragrant.
Put the cheese in the middle of the skillet on top of everything and put the pan in the center of the oven. Bake until the cheese melts, about 8 to 10 minutes. The potatoes should be tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Remove from the oven and season again with salt, if needed. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
Variation: Grilled Potatoes with Blue Cheese
Cook 2 1/2 pounds small red potatoes in simmering water until just tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and pat dry, then toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Put the potatoes in a grilling basket (or on a wire rack set on the grill grates); grill over medium-high heat, turning often, until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk 1/2 cup each sour cream and crumbled blue cheese with 1/3 cup buttermilk; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to a bowl; top with the dressing, thinly sliced celery and carrot, celery leaves and more blue cheese.