Tomatillo Salsa - Salsa De Tomate Verde
Classic tomatillo salsa that will enhance any savory dish.
You can double the amount of onion if you like your salsa that way.
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 serrano chili peppers, fresh (you can use a mild pepper in place of serrano chili
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husks removed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- Makes 2 cups
1. In a saucepan over high heat, combine the water and 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to a boil. Add the garlic, chilies and tomatillos and cook, uncovered, until soft, 8-10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. When cool enough to handle, stem the chilies and tomatillos.
2. In a food processor or blender (fitted with metal blade), combine the garlic, chilies, tomatillos, reserved liquid, cilantro and the remaining 1 1/2 tsp salt. Process to form a smooth puree, then transfer to a bowl. Stir in the chopped onion.
* Let the salsa cool to room temperature, then serve. The salsa can be stored tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.