Low Calorie Chicken Cacciatore
- Six 3 ounce skinned, boned small chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil or cooking oil
- 3 cups (8 oz.) small. fresh mushrooms, or two (4 oz.) jars whole button mushrooms, drained
- 2 medium sweet red or green peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large (1 c.) onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 small serrano chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped OR
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red dried pepper (optional)
- one 28 ounce can of tomatoes, cut up
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Hot, cooked penne or rigatoni pasta
In a heavy 12 inch skillet or Dutch oven, brown chicken in hot oil on all sides (4 or 5 minutes total). Remove chicken, set aside. Add mushrooms (if using fresh), sweet peppers, onion and garlic to skillet drippings. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
Add mushrooms (if using canned), wine and serrano or crushed red pepper to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until almost all liquid evaporates. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, basil, sugar, thyme, salt and pepper. Return chicken to pan. uncovered, 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Or, after returning chicken to pan, bake, uncovered, in 350ºF. oven 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is done (use oven proof skillet for this method). Serve over cooked pasta. Serves 6.
253 calories (28% from fat), 29 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates, 8 grams fat (saturated fat 2 grams), 72 milligrams cholesterol, 511 milligrams sodium, 806 potassium, 3 grams dietary fiber.