Southern Squash Casserole
- 8 cups yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1.25 cups sweet Vidalia onion, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 0.5 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 0.33 cups mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 cups crushed crackers (such as Ritz) or breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Steam (or sautee) squash and onion until soft. Drain excess water and divide cooked squash among two greased 8 x 8 baking pans or one 13 x 9 baking pan. Smash squash with the back of a fork or potato masher (it doesn’t have to be mush, just a little smashed). In another bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, Parmesan, cheddar, mayo, and salt and pepper. Divide and pour over squash in baking pans. Divide and sprinkle crackers (or breadcrumbs) over the top of the casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and topping is browned.
Prepare and bake casserole as directed above. Cool casserole, cover with foil, label, and freeze. TO SERVE: Thaw and reheat in microwave or in the oven on warm.