Weedemandreap's Soaked Cornbread
I have several favorite blogs and DaNelle's is definately one. I haven't been steered wrong by her yet.
- 2 c. cornmeal
- 1 c. whole-wheat flour + 1 c. organic white flour (or 2 c. of whole wheat flour is fine, too.)
- 2 c. milk
- 2 TBS. apple cider vinegar (totally doesn't change the flavor of the cornbread, ya'll, but it does help make the flour and cornmeal more digestible)
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick of melted butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 TBS. baking powder
- 4 TBS. unrefined cane sugar or coconut sugar (I haven't tried this with a liquid sweetener, but feel free to give it a shot
Adapted from weedemandreap.com
1. In a bowl, place 2 c. of cornmeal & flour. Mix together milk & apple cider vinegar, then add to cornmeal/flour mixture.
2. Mix until just combined, then cover with plastic wrap nice and tight, and let sit on your counter top at room temperature for 8-12 hours.
3. After 8-12 hours, add rest of ingredients but be sure not to over mix. Place in a 9x13 greased pan and bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (TIP - If it starts to look too brown, you can cover it with some aluminum foil for the last 10 min. or so)