W30/D: Orange Cinnamon Beef Stew
- 1/2 About 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper (to sprinkle the meat)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil, for cooking
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk,diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- the juice and zest of 1 orange (that’s about 1/2 cup of juice)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 3-4 small rutabagas, spiralized
- Preheat oven to 350F
Heat the coconut oil in a large Dutch Oven set over medium-high heat. Add the pieces of meat in a single layer, taking extra care to leave a good amount of space between them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sear the pieces of meat until they get nice and golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate (you might have to work in several batches and add coconut oil as needed to prevent the Dutch oven from drying out)
Once all the pieces of meat have been browned and removed to a plate, add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic to the Dutch oven and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Deglaze well with the orange juice then add zest, balsamic vinegar, water, salt, pepper, cinnamon and Bay leaves.
Place in the oven and bake for about 2 hours to 2½ hours, until the meat is super tender and almost falls apart.
Stir in rosemary, thyme and sage and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
While that is happening, place the spiralized rutabaga in a steaming basket, sprinkle with a little bit of salt and steam over boiling water for 3-5 minutes, until “al dente”.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cherry Winks 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blueberry Coffee Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Thai Turkey Chili 0/5 (0 Votes)
- GRILLED CHICKEN WITH... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy honey brushed chicken thighs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mom's English crock pot cranberry... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Marjorie's Mandarin Orange Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)