Lemon Melting Moment
- 200 g [7/8 cup, or approx 14 tablespoons] unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 50 [ 1/4 cup, or approx 3.6 tablespoons] grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- juice of one lemon
- an extra 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar gives a thicker consistency
Adapted from ittybittykitchen.com
Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius / 300 F.
In a large bowl cream the butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy on a medium setting, roughly 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and incorporate the vanilla and lemon zest, scraping down the sides as you go. Sift the flower and cornstarch into the mixture and beat on a low setting until just combined.
Take small portions of the mixture and roll into balls, continue until you have 25-30 (I made mine quite large, I ended up with roughly 23) pieces. If you want them to be as even as possible, roll out the mixture until it forms a log then use a clean knife to section into 30 pieces.
Place them on a baking tray lined with wax paper, gently press on each piece with a fork until it has left an imprint. You can also press on them gently with your fingers, if you do not wish to leave an imprint.
Bake for 20 minutes. let them cool completely.
For the filling beat the sugar, butter and lemon juice on a medium setting until incorporated. Use the back of a spoon, or a knife to ice one side of the cookie then sandwich them together. Try to find two which are similar sizes.
The biscuits can be kept for up to 5 days in an air tight container.