Delicious southern dish - always a hit and never any left!
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 3-4 tomatoes (small) or 2 large, sliced ~1/4 inch, salted and drained well on paper towels (about 10-15 minutes - this is VERY important)
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, or 3-4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves) and or 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1-2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Mozzarella or Gruyere or Parmesan any combo will do!)
- 3/4-1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Gotta take the time to salt and drain the sliced tomatoes (I salt and place slices on paper towels)! Otherwise your pie will be full of juice. Place a layer of sliced tomatoes in an uncooked pie shell. Sprinkle with onions, salt, pepper, basil and or Italian seasoning. Sprinkle 3/4-1 cup of cheese over tomatoes. My favorite cheese combo is Gruyere and Parmesan; my 2nd fav is Cheddar and Parmesan. Top with another layer of tomatoes. Combine mayo and 3/4-1 cup cheese(s) (more seasoning if you like) and spread over tomatoes pressing gently with the back of a spoon to pie shell edges. Bake 375 degrees for 25-40 minutes on middle rack until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.
Play with this recipe! If you use a deep dish pie shell add more layers of seasoned tomatoes and cheese. Add bacon, try different cheeses to find your favs, add other spices, add Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)....there is no end to the possibilities!