Short Rib Cheesesteak Sandwiches
Cooking Light June 2013 Ruth Cousineau
Saturated fat: 4.9g
Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- 1 (12-ounce) French bread baguette
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk $
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 ounces 50%-less-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into strips
- 12 ounces lean boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Cut bread in half lengthwise and again crosswise. Hollow out tops and bottoms of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Place bread halves on a baking sheet, cut sides up. Broil 1 1/2 minutes or until toasted.
3. Combine milk, flour, and mustard in a medium microwave-safe bowl, stirring with a whisk. Microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove from microwave; add 1/8 teaspoon salt and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
4. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove onion mixture from pan; keep warm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
5. Divide beef mixture evenly among bottom halves of bread; top with onion mixture. Drizzle cheese sauce evenly over sandwiches. Top with top halves of bread; cut each sandwich in half