Chocolate Zucchini Cake
The moistest, fudgiest triple chocolate, yogurt zucchini cake you will ever have! The chocolate ganache seeps into the cracks!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil (or unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1 2/3 cups (12 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) AP Flour
- 3/4 cup (2 1/4 ounce) Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 tsp. espresso powder (enhances the flavor of the chocolate)
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups shredded zucchini (about one 10-inch zucchini – 12 ounces)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Chocolate Ganache Topping
- 6 oz heavy cream
- 9 oz chopped chocolate (semi-sweet or milk)
Adapted from parsleysagesweet.com
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a 9″ x 13″ pan with baking spray
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until each is incorporated.
3. Stir in the sour cream or yogurt alternately with the flour, starting and ending with the flour. Stir in the cocoa and espresso powder, mixing until smooth. Finally, fold in the zucchini and 1 cup of chocolate chips.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.
5. To prepare the frosting, heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Wait 3-5 minutes then stir to combine. It may take a few minutes of stirring for the ganache to come together… but it will. It will thicken as it cools… when warm (but not hot) pour over cake and smooth with offset spatula. Allow frosting to set for about 30 minutes before serving… or not.