Lemon Coconut Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat or no-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Shredded coconut to garnish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from ziplist.com
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line or grease the inside of 6 large muffin tins or 12 small muffin tins.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a small mixing bowl.
In a separate small bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the yogurt, coconut milk, and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, applesauce and lemon zest on high speed. Add eggs one at a time until well incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed, and mixture is light and fluffy.
Alternately beat in dry ingredients and yogurt ingredients beginning with the dry ingredients and ending with the dry. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
Fold in poppy seeds. Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin tins until about ⅔ full.
Bake small muffins for 20-22 minutes or large muffins for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan and cool on baking rack.
Mix together the melted butter, lemon juice and enough powdered to make a thin glaze. With a fork, dip into glaze and drizzle over tops of warm muffins. Sprinkle coconut on top.
Makes 12 muffins or 6 large muffins.
Mix together the butter, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat in enough powdered sugar to make a thin glaze. Using a fork or spoon, drizzle over the tops of warm muffins. Sprinkle with coconut, if desired.
You'll also love
- Tomato, Stone Fruit & Fresh... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Roble Ali's Hawaiian Pork... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- “Shortcut” – Chocolate... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Quinoa & Butternut Squash with... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Coconut Nutella No Bake Cookies 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Ginger Limeade 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Mint Lemon Raspberry Infused Water 4.2/5 (24 Votes)