Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Comfort food at its finest, creamy slow cooked tomato basil soup with parmesan cheese. Healthy and full of veggies, this is one of my families favorites!
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, diced with juice
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup carrots, finely diced
- 1 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups half and half, warmed (substitute milk for less calories)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft. At this point I added all of the vegetables to a blender and blended until smooth. If you have a hand immersion blender that would work great. If you prefer a chunkier texture you can leave it as is or even blend just some of it. Return blended veggies back to the slow cooker.
About 30 minutes before serving prepare the roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add the flour. Stir roux constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup hot soup. Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve. Serve with warm rolls and a green salad.
You'll also love
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Bacon,... 4.4/5 (168 Votes)
- Awesome Pasta Salad! 4.4/5 (166 Votes)
- Michael Symon's Grilled Skirt Steak 4.2/5 (221 Votes)
- Lemon Ginger Avo Mayo 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup 4.4/5 (160 Votes)
- ZZ Pumpkin Beignets (Disney's Club... 4.5/5 (155 Votes)
- Zero Point Weight Watchers Cabbage... 4.4/5 (165 Votes)
- Philadelphia 3-Step Cheesecake 3.9/5 (293 Votes)