Lamb Stuffed Chiles
- Serve with pureed tomato sauce and sour cream
- 12 firm green mild chiles, New Mexican or Anaheim
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb ground lamb
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each pepper, dried thyme
Roast chiles, turning often until charred on all sides, about, 15 minutes. Peel, cut off stems, and slice lengthwise. Remove seeds.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat Cook onions, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add ground lamb, stirring until browned, about 15 minutes.
Drain excess fat. Add tomato, garlic, bay leaf, bread crumbs, tarragon, salt, pepper, and thyme. Simmer 15 minutes. Cool.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread chiles open on work surface. Top each with lamb mixture. Close chiles around lamb. Place open-side down on oiled baking pan. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes.