Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery rib, washed and diced
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1/2 lb Ditalini pasta
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped basil
- 1 lb 97% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (fine grind)
- 2 large egg whites
1. In a large 8 quart stock pot over medium high heat, warm olive oil.
2. Meanwhile, chop carrots and celery. Add to warm pan. Cook vegetables for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add broth, water, tomato paste and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with hands to combine. Using a 1 tablespoon scoop to portion, lightly shape the scoops into meatballs using your hands to roll them. Drop them into the broth, distributing them evenly around the pot. Cover. Allow to boil for 5 minutes. Stir meatballs gently.
5. Add pasta. Cook 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Add basil and parsley, stir and serve.