Naked Turkey Bruschetta Burger
- For the turkey zucchini burgers:
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 3 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 oz part skim mozzarella, diced
- 1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, grated (1 cup, or 5 oz)
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp red onion, grated
- salt and fresh pepper
- oil spray
Combine the red onion, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Set aside a few minutes while you chop the tomatoes, then place in the bowl. Add the garlic, basil and additional salt and pepper, to taste and mix well and set aside. Toss in the cheese when ready to serve.
Squeeze the excess moisture from the zucchini in a paper towel. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Form into 5 equal sized patties about 5 oz each, forming them as flat as possible.
Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. When hot, lightly spray with oil. Add the burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until browned, about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes, careful not to burn.
To serve, arrange 3 slices of tomatoes on each dish, then place 1 cup arugula on top in the center, then top with the burger and finish with the bruschetta (don't forget to add the cheese), serve right away.