HEIRLOOM TOMATO SALAD ON GRILLED BRUSCHETTA
- 2 lbs assorted heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 T red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 C plus 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C packed basil leaves, thinly sliced
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices ciabatta bread
1. Put the tomatoes, onion, garlic, vinegar, 1/4 C of olive oil, and the basil in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
2..Heat a grill pan over high heat (or a grill to high). Grill the bread on each side until slightly charred, about 30 seconds per side. Remove from the grill and brush the tops with the remaining 2 T of oil. Mound the bread with the tomato mixture and some of the juices and serve immediately.