Chili Con Carne Soup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz (375 g) extr-lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried leaf oregano
- pinch salt
- 2 sweet peppers, chopped
- 540 ml can red kidney beans, Romano beans,
- chickpeas or mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 540 ml can stewed tomatoes
- 5 cups (1.25 L) reduced-sodium beef broth
1-Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2-Add onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
3-Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes or until no longer pink.
4-Stir in peppers, beans, tomatoes and broth.
5-Bring to a boil and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes for the flavors to develop.
6-Serve sprinkled with a little shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for the full chili experience.
In a serving: 186 calories, 15 g protein, 6g fat, 20g carbs, 6g dietary fibre, 71mg calcium, 3mg iron.