- 2 pounds beef round steak, abt 1" thick
- 2 tablespoons shortening or bacon fat
- 3 large onions sliced
- 2 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms - (abt 8 oz)
- 2 tablespoons Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh marjoram leaves
- (or 1/4 tspn dried marjoram)
- 1/2 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme leaves
- (or 1/4 tspn dried thyme)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef bouillon
- 1 cup red Burgundy or other dry red wine or tomato juice
Cut beef into 1-inch cubes. Melt shortening in Dutch oven.
Cook beef in shortening over medium heat until brown; remove. Cook onions and mushrooms in Dutch oven, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, adding shortening if necessary. Remove mushrooms and onions; cover and refrigerate.
Return beef to Dutch oven; sprinkle with flour, salt, marjoram, thyme and pepper. Stir in bouillon and Burgundy. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 1/4 hours or until beef is tender. (Liquid should just cover beef.) If necessary, stir in additional bouillon and Burgundy (1 part bouillon to 2 parts Burgundy).
Add mushrooms and onions; heat through, stirring occasionally.
This recipe yields 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.