- ***FOR THE SHRIMP STOCK***
- The Shells and tails from 2 lb. of Shrimp
- 1/2 Cup chopped Onion
- 1/4 Cup chopped Celery
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lemon sliced
- 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 tsp. Black Peppercorns
- ***FOR THE ETOUFFEE***
- 2 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Celery, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup fresh Tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Shrimp Stock
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- I bundle of Fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce (I like Crystal or Louisiana Gold)
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp minced Italian Parsley
- 2 lb Good Quality Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined, Save shells for the stock
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Recipe Creole Boiled Rice
Prepare the shrimp stock. Add all ingredients to a 2 qt. saucepan. Cover this with cold water, it should be about 6-8 Cups Cups. You’ll need 1 1/2 Cups for the Etouffee. Bring almost to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Strain.
Season the shrimp with 1 Tbsp of the Creole Seasoning.
Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet, add the onions, bell pepper, and celery, saute until translucent. Whisk in the flour to make a blonde roux, stirring constantly, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the remaining Creole Seasoning. Add a small amount of the shrimp stock, stir well to form a paste, add the remaining stock gradually, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. You may need a little more stock, but the end result should be the consistency of a gravy, not too thick, not too thin.
Add the tomatoes, garlic, Thyme, Worcestershire, and hot sauce, a little salt, black pepper, and Cayenne. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add the shrimp, green onions, and parsley, simmer for 10 minutes more or until the shrimp are cooked through. Stir in the 3 Tbsp butter, and adjust the seasonings to taste.
Serve over Creole Boiled Rice.
You'll also love
- FLANK STEAK WITH PEPPERS,ONIONS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage Stroganoff 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Rose Seafood Chowder 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Stuffed Sole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy salmon with celery sauce... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scalloped Potatoes with Chyote 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bread Stuffing For Fish 0/5 (0 Votes)
- SHRIMP OR CRAWFISH PASTA 0/5 (0 Votes)