Spicy Beef Chow Mein
Beef can easily be substituted with chicken or pork tenderloin. Peas (or snow peas) and asparagus also work well for the veggies.
- 3 packages instant Oriental noodles
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 trsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp crushed hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 lb lean beef, cut in thin 1/4 inch wide strips (or chicken breast or pork tenderloin)
- 3 green onions cut lengthwise then diagonally in 2 inch pieces
- 1 c coarsely grated carrot
- 4 c thinly sliced cabbage
In large pot of boilling water, cook noodles for 3 minutes or until just tender, drain and rinse.
Meanwhile, in bowl, combine water, soya sauce, ketchup, Worchetershire sauce, sugar and sesame oil; set aside.
In large skillet or wok sprayed with nonstick coating, cook garlic and hot pepper flakes over medium high heat for 10 seconds.
Add beef, stir fry 1 minute. Add green onions, carrots and cabbage, stir fry for 3 minutes. Add noodles and sauce, heat through, about 1 minute, stirring gently to coat.