Bacon Cheese Stuffed Shells (Greg Tite)
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese,
- softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups Shredded Romano cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim
- mozzarella cheese
Cook pasta according to package
directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet,
saute mushrooms and onion in 1 Tbsp.
butter until tender.
In a large bowl, beat ricotta and 4 oz.
cream cheese until blended. Stir in 1/2 cup
Asiago cheese, Parmesan cheese, bacon,
1 Tbsp. parsley, garlic salt, nutmeg, pepper
and mushroom mixture. Spoon into shells;
place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter.
Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the
cream, broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook
and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in Romano cheese and the remaining
cream cheese, Asiago and parsley. Pour
over shells. Sprinkle with mozzarella
cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30
minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes
longer or until bubbly.