Black Bean Stew
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/2 cup baby shells
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large roasted garlic clove, mashed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
Cook bacon in medium saucepan until crisp; drain on paper towels. Drain off and discard all but 1 tsp of the bacon fat from the pan. Add the tomatoes to the saucepan and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting the salt; drain.
Add the black beans, broth, water, and garlic to the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in the corn and pasta and cook until heated through, 2 -3 minutes.
Per serving (generous 2 cups) 416 cal, 6 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 5 mg chol, 859 mg sodium, 73 g carb, 9 g fiber, 19 g prot, 146 mg calcium