French Lentil Rice Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 3 T uncooked white rice
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1 t herbes de Provence or dried thyme
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/8 t ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream, divided (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, divided (optional)
Stir together broth, lentils, carrots, onion, celery, rice, garlic, herbes de Provence, salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
Remove 1 1/2 cups soup and puree in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. Stir pureed soup back in the slow cooker.
Divide soup evenly among 4 serving bowls, garnishing each with 1 T cream or sour cream, and 1 T chopped parsley.
Use caution when processing hot liquids in blender. Vent blender lid and cover with a clean kitchen towel as directed by manufacturer.