All-American Celebration Cake
For a star-spangled finale, serve this easy berry-topped cake complete with sparkling candles.
Calories: 190; Total Fat: 3 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Carbs: 37 g; Protein: 3 g; Sodium: 220 mg; Fiber: 1 g
- 1 package (16oz) angel food cake mix
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced (12oz)
- 1/2 ½ pint fresh blueberries (about 1 cup)
- 1 container (8oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into ungreased rectangular baker, spreading evenly. Bake on center rack in oven 35-40 mins or until top is golden brown and the cracks feel dry and not sticky. (Cake should be firm to the touch; do not under bake.) Carefully turn baker upside down onto cooling rack; cool completely. (Do not remove cake from baker.)
2. Zest whole lemon. Juice lemon to measure 2 tbsp juice. Whisk lemon juice zest and powdered sugar in bowl until smooth.
3. Slice strawberries and add with blueberries and raspberries to sugar mixture; mix gently to coat fruit.
4. Using large fork, poke holes in cake about 1 ½ inchs deep and ½ inch apart. Spoon fruit mixture over cake to within ½ inch of edges. Refrigerate at least 2 hrs to allow juices to soak into cake.
5. Just before serving, fill whipped topping into decorator and pipe evenly around edge of cake. To serve, cut into squares. Garnish each serving with additional whipped topping and mint leaves, if desired.