Candy Cane Twist Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp. green food coloring
1. Using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, cream the butter. Continue beating and gradually add the sugar.
2. Beat in the egg until evenly mixed, then add the vanilla extract, the peppermint extract, and the salt and blend well.
3. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour, one third at a time, until evenly mixed.
4. Divide the dough into thirds. Add the red food coloring to one third and the green food coloring to another, then knead the coloring into the dough. Flatten each into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 375. On a lightly floured surface, roll a pair of tablespoon-size pieces of contrasting colored dough into 8-inch-long ropes. Twist them together, pinch the ends, then bend the cookies into candycane shapes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
6. Bake the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet about 10 minutes, rotating the sheet about halfway through.