Deluxe Weekend Dish
This dish freezes well. It can be frozen uncooked or frozen cooked and cut into squares for individual portions.
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 tsps dried basil
- 2 tsps oregano
- 1 (1oz) pkg dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 1-1/2 tsps salt
- 1.2 tsps black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 lb thin noodles, spaghetti, or macaroni
- 1 (1 lb) carton small curd cottage cheese
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Brown meat in olive oil; drain off excess fat.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, dry soup mix, water, garlic, salt, black & red pepper. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
3. Boil pasta in salted water until tender; drain.
4. Layer in casserole; pasta, mozzarella, meat, cottage cheese & Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.