Maple Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies
Maple adds a gentle sweetness to these cookies, which are a little milder than traditional molasses gingerbread cookies.
- 1/2 cup (125-mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125-mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125-mL) pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon (15-mL) fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
- 2 1/3 cups (575-mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 150mins
In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with electric beaters, beat the butter with the brown sugar and maple syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, ginger and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and salt. Add the flour to the butter mixture in 3 additions on low speed, mixing well after each addition (it will be very soft). Scrape the dough onto 3 pieces of plastic wrap, cover and press into discs. Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the first piece of cookie dough to 1/8-inch (3-mm) thick and cut with a 2 inch (5-cm) cookie cutter (of any desired shape). Arrange the cookies on the prepared baking tray, leaving a 1/2 inch (1-cm) gap between them, and repeat rolling remaining 2 discs. Leftover scraps from cutting out the cookies can be chilled for 10 minutes and then re-rolled.
Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool cookies on the tray before transferring them to an airtight container. The cookies will keep for a week in an airtight container, and can be decorated with icing or simply dusted with icing sugar for decoration.
You'll also love
- Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies 4.5/5 (52 Votes)
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Shrimp Curry 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Turkey Mini Meatball Alphabet Soup 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cupcakes With Maple-Cream... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Fritos and Peanut Butter 3.9/5 (38 Votes)
- Gooey Apple Pie Cookies 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Cookies 4/5 (2 Votes)