Winter Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bunch of kale (3/4 pound), ribs cut away and discarded, leaves torn
- 5 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) cannellini beans (liquid reserved)
- 3 sprigs thyme
- grated parmesan, for serving (optional)
Adapted from ingoodtasteblog.net
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt butter over medium. Cook onion and garlic until fragrant, 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add squash and kale and cook until kale is wilted, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add broth, beans and thyme. Bring to a simmer an cook until squash and kale are tender, about 12 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper and serve with Parmesan, if desired.