Seafood Stew with Tomatoes and Basil (Cioppino)
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 11/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 TBSP dried oregano
- 11/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 21/2 cups crushed toatoes with added puree
- 21/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 6-1/2 oz cans chopped clams, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and devined
- 1 6oz can crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- cyenne pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 65mins
Heat oliveoil in heavy large pot over med heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano and fennel seeds and saute until onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
Add tomatoes, clam juice, white wine and liquid reserved from clams. Increase heat and boil until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
Add clams, shrimp and crabmeat.
Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Mix in fresh basil and simmer until shrimp are just opeque in center, about 2 minutes longer. Season stew to tast with caynenne, salt and pepper.
Serve with green salad, garlic bread and a crisp white wine.