- 1-1/2cups1-1/2 cups self-rising flour (Add 2-1/4 t. B.P. & 1/2 t. salt to flour)
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1cup1 cup white sugar
- 22 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2cup1/2 cup whole milk, divided
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon and 3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- Lemon Cream Icing
- 1cup1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/4cup1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/4teaspoons2-1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 30 cupcake pan cups with paper liners.
2.Sift the self-rising flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the unsalted butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3.Gently beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined; do not over mix.
4.Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter 3/4 full, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a rack.
5.To make the icing, beat the cream in a chilled bowl with an electric mixer set on Low until the cream begins to thicken. Add the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice, a little at a time, beating after each addition, until fully incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to High, and beat until the icing forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Spread on the cooled cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.