- 3 1/2 lbs veal shanks, cross cut, 2 inches thick
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 16 oz. can plum tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsps. dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbls. butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot. finely chopped
- 1 rib celery. finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- NOTE: I always add beef broth
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 120mins
Brown veal shanks in oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Remove the shank and sprinkle them with salt, set aside.
Pour off drippings, add the white wine to deglaze the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, rosemary and red and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven saute the onion,carrot, celery and garlic in butter over medium heat until the vegetables are crisp but tender. Add the shanks and the tomato sauce to the Dutch oven. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking, covered, for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
NOTE: I dredge the shanks in flour before browning.