- 7 ounces medium dried rice stick noodles
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste or pulp (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar (packed light brown sugar can be substituted)
- 12 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu (about 5 ounces), 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 10 Chinese chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dried shrimp
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved radish
- 1 to 3 dried Thai chiles, finely chopped (or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts (about 3 ounces)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- 1 lime, quartered
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 65mins
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, add noodles, and stir briefly to separate noodles. Soak until loose and pliable, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place measured water and tamarind in a small bowl and stir to combine, pressing on the paste to break it up. Let sit until softened, about 8 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into another small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract all the juice. Discard the solids. Add fish sauce and palm sugar and stir to combine; set aside.
3. Cut each shrimp along its back without cutting completely through, so it opens like a butterfly; set aside.
4. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a wok or large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shrimp, season with salt, and stir-fry, tossing continually until shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
5. Place remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in the wok, add tofu, season with salt, and stir-fry until tofu starts to brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to the plate with the shrimp and set aside.
6. Add garlic to the wok and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add reserved noodles and half of the chives and stir-fry for a few seconds more. Pour in reserved tamarind mixture, stir to combine, then add dried shrimp, radish, chiles, and half of the bean sprouts. Stir-fry until noodles are coated with sauce, about 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Push noodles to the side of the wok, pour eggs into the free space, and scramble with a rubber spatula until almost cooked through, about 1 minute. Add reserved shrimp and tofu and remaining chives and toss all ingredients together until combined, about 1 minute. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with remaining bean sprouts, peanuts, and lime wedges.