- 1-2 pounds bonless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. garlic and onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 or 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 ea. red and green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/3-1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 8 to 12 oz. sliced mushrooms
Chicken should be cut in serving size pieces. Put 1/2 cup flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large plastic or clean brown paper bag.
Add 2 or 3 pieces chicken at a time and shake to coat well with flour.
Heat olive oil; brown chicken on all sides. Add remaining ingredients except mushrooms and wine.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Add mushrooms and wine; simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Note: If you prefer a spicier sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne can be added as desired.
Serve over wide egg noodles or other pasta