Pomodoro Pasta Sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Stir the diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, sweet onion, garlic, tomato paste, water, red wine, sage, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook the sauce at a simmer until the carrots are tender, about 1 hour.
2. Pour the sauce into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway. Hold the lid of the blender in place with a towel and carefully start the blender using a few quick pulses to get the sauce moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean container. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the sauce in the pot.