Hearty Macaroni Casserole
- 1 package (7 1/4 oz) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup French-fried onions
Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to prepared macaroni. Stir in tomatoes.
Divide half of mixure between two greased 1 1/2 qt baking dishes; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup cheese. Top with the remaining mixture.
Sprinkle remaining cheese over one casserole. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Sprinkle the second casserole with French-fried onions. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.
To use frozen casserole:
Thaw in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.