Stir-Fried Chicken and Peanuts
- 1/3 * 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 * 3 tablespoons shaoxing cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 * 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 * 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 * 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 * 1 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 * 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 * 3/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts or cashews
- 2 * 2 whole scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 * 4 whole dried Chinese red peppers
- 2 * 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 * 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, wine, vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil. Dice the chicken and toss it in the marinade.
2. Heat a wok or skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the oil. Lightly fry the peanuts for about 1 minute and remove. Add the scallions, red peppers, and garlic. Stir-fry for about 20 seconds.
3. Just before adding to the pan, coat the chicken in the cornstarch. Fry until the chicken is just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes (depending on the pan and the heat). Return the peanuts to the pan and mix thoroughly to combine with the chicken. Serve immediately with white rice.