Roasted Garlic Peppercorn Sauce
"A rich roasted garlic white sauce made with a blend of peppercorns to give it a more exotic flavor. Toss with favorite cooked pasta and grated cheese (Asiago is great!)."
- 1 whole head garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground mixed peppercorns 1 pinch ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Slice off the top third of the head of garlic so the tips of the cloves are exposed. Place in a small baking dish, and add just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. Drizzle the olive oil over the top of the garlic, then cover with a lid or foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Mix together the flour and milk so there are no lumps, and pour into the pan with the butter. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skin, and mash. Stir garlic into the sauce, and season with salt, peppercorns, and nutmeg.