Frosted Butterscotch Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 8-oz carton dairy sour cream
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 recipe Browned Butter Frosting
- chopoped walnuts or walnut halves (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease cookie sheets; set aside.
2. In a lare mixing bowl beat the brown sugar and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Add flour and sour cream alternately to beat mixture, beating until combined after each addition. Stir in the nuts.
3. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transer to wire racks and let cool.
4. Spread cooled cookies with Browned Butter Frosting. If desired, top with additional chopped walnuts or walnut halves. Makes about 60 cookies.
BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING
In a medium saucepan heat and stir 1/2 cup butter oven medium-low heat until golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar, 5 teaspoons boiling water, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, beat until frosting is spreadable. Immediately spread on cookies. If frostin begins to set up, stir in a small amount of boiling water.