Baked Goat Cheese Salad
- About 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dry thyme
- 4-6 rounds fresh goat cheese (chevre)
- About 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed baby greens or mesclun
- 1 recipe basic vinaigrette (see below)
- Basic Vinaigrette
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) finely chopped shallot or onion
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) extra virgin olive oil
Combine the bread crumbs and dried thyme in a plate. Dip the goat cheese in the olive oil to coat both sides, roll in the bread crumbs, and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven until golden brown and bubbling slightly, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, dress the salad greens with the vinaigrette and divide among 4 to 6 salad plates. Top each plate with a round of goat cheese and serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.
Combine the shallot, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly. If the sauce separates before being used it can me be recombined by whisking vigorously for a few seconds. Makes 1 cup (250 ml).